Saturday, April 3, 2010

A little more done today






Not much, but it is a little progress. Had to run out to pick up an air angle grinder today and trips into town from out here usually are an all day event for us.

Got a little more sanded and a lot of surface rust taken off. I decided to throw a little primer on it to keep the rust away. I am glad that the metal is not all pitted under the rust.

I will have some body work to do on it after I get the paint and rust stripped down. The passengers side front corner is pretty mangled up, so I am debating on cutting the front corner out of the other cab and welding it into place. That would be the right thing to do, so I am thinking I am going to tackle that when I get all of the rust off of the body.

The frame is in real good shape on it. The engine looks like it is 53 years old, but is pretty clean. Not coated in oil like most of the other cars I buy. :) It looks like it will clean up real well with minimal efforts. The transmission and transfer case are both in the same condition. There are pine needles down in the crevasses of the transfer case and transmission that I couldn't get with the shop vac, so next time I pull it outside with the fork lift, I will blow it out with compressed air and get it ready to clean up with engine degreaser and a good scouring before paint.

Over the next week or so, it will be sand, sand, sand. Picked up a sand blaster the other day also to get the hard to reach areas and to get down in between the body lines.

Plan on putting a full day in tomorrow, so should have a lot more bare, rust free metal tomorrow about this time or later.

Keep checking back!

No comments:

Post a Comment